Monday, October 24, 2011

Make a Memory

I have been called the luckiest kid in the world more than once. Growing up in the "Merry Mac" clan in Greensboro, NC I had more than ample opportunities to explore the outdoors world. These adventures I took part in were varied in their locations and activities I participated in. First of all I consider visiting every county in North and South Carolina are real treat. Many times we do not take advantage of the local venues we have available right at our own back doors.  Much of this travel was with my dad while he chased the many outdoors news articles he provided to the readers of his column with the Greensboro Daily News and Record.


During those early days in Greensboro I had the pleasure of seeing the golden sunrise come up over the Atlantic Coast. I was also able to watch it fall down as a firery blaze into a black Pacific during a trip to Southwestern Mexico. Other  memorable sights were the lights of Denver as seen from a mountain top in the Rockies or some of the wonderful rivers sightings we made over the  years. I've seen the Snake, the Colorado, the Ohio, Mississippi, Missouri, Madison, Penobscot and the St. Lawrence. These are but a few and there will be others to come as time goes by. Some of the prettiest I've seen are here in the Carolinas.  Down east  the Chowan and the Waccamaw both come to mind in North Carolina and the Catawba, the Congaree and the Savanna in South Carolina. In the west the Broad, Tuckasegee, Natahala and the New Rivers have all left a long time impression on me. These rivers are loaded with fish just waiting for you to cast your line. Each of these bodies of water have something to offer today's traveler.

Sometimes these wonderful places are just in passing and some are not.  No matter the case each is wonderful to see.  Everyone needs to make  an effort to see the highlights of America. There are plenty of them to visit.  Yellowstone Park  and the surrounding area is a marvel in itself. The Grand Canyon and the dessert southwest is another. For the first time visitor it is unreal just how far you can see.  Having spent most of my life in the Carolinas this is the biggest thing I notice when I get out west. If you are looking for something closer to home, the NC Outer Banks are nice in the fall when the fish are biting and we have the Smokies to the west. Both are close by and either will take your breath away with it's beauty and the abundance of history, wildlife, fish and plant life too.

So what are you waiting for.  Grab a camera and hit the road to a place you have not yet seen. You may get lucky, find yourself lost and end up in some place like Calico Rock, Arkansas or Durkey, Oregon. You never know. Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment